[3830] SS CW VE4GV SO Unlimited LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 9 21:25:30 EST 2015

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: VE4GV
Operator(s): VE4GV
Station: VE4GV

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: MB

Club: Radiosport Manitoba

Comments:

Conditions didn't look good going into this one. With the recent solar activity
and possible poor conditions, many Canadians above teh 49th parallel were
somewhat pessimistic about the test.  A last minute multi-op call offer to
VE4EA couldn't convince him to come to my place to take advantage of the 40 M
beam so I decided on SOLP Assisted, to give him some room in the Unassisted
category. With 15, 20 and 40 open, there still were lots of holes and most of
the time I could pretty easily find a run freq.

Lots of VE4s participating (VE4YU, DXR, EA, VT, XT locally in Winnipeg). So
between Me and the rest of the Radiosport Manitoba team, you should have pretty
easily gotten VE4 for the sweep. I agree that Sunday condx were poor.

On the OTHER hand, having VE6EX run QRP was big problems for us in VE4 when it
came to the Alberta Mult. Neither VE4VT, nor I managed to work VE6 or VY1AAA. (
Thank goodness...I thought it was just me! But if VE4VT couldn't hear/work
him...there must have been a reason.

With the new shack acquisitions  (TS 990s and that sweet new Expert 1.3
K-FA)not yet fully working with my SO2R MK2R+, I chose to go one radio. As we
slow down and go into the solar minimum, having the second rig makes a big
difference to keep rates high.  BUT, having said that... I truly believe that I
worked virtually every station I could find (with the exception of VY1 and VE6
which I couldn't hear.)I only used 19 hrs.   I could NOT believe that NO other
VE6s were on! Disappointing to say the least!

That will be remedied in SS SSB when I travel to VE6SV's terrific Contest QTH
in a couple of weeks and do SS SSB from Alberta.

I used laugh at some of the comments about aging contesters, stamina and how it
affects scores. As I approach the big 6 0 ...it isn't so funny any more. Though,
I have come to appreciate the benefits of Red Bull! Next stop...Depends
undergardments???

Thanks to all the faithful for making SS such a fun test. Its great to see all
the familiar calls and some new ones (with some high check #s) that were pretty
skilled!

Log review after the contest also gives us a few moments to reflect on those no
longer in our logs and remember those missing calls who have helped us hone our
contesting skills and made us better ops.

We still miss '4VV around VE4 land and not a CW contest goes by that I don't
have "VE4GV" busted for "VE4VV" on CW,  until I correct
it.

C U in SS SSB from VE6SV

Rob VE4GV