[3830] SS CW N5FO Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 10 07:59:49 EST 2015

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: N5FO
Operator(s): N5FO
Station: N5FO

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Tyrone, NM

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

Lots of firsts on this one for me:
First full effort @ SS, First SO2R, First contest Op as LP, First use of a 2nd
Tribander (A restored CushCraft X9 installed below the 40M yagi @ 35ft), First
Use of BPF's inline.

The first few hours trying to focus on the second radio was tough, I found my
attention getting "fixated" there, and not being as quick on the
trigger as I should on the run band. I also tried running for about an hour
with the two tribanders in parallel, to cover both the NE & SW, but with
only 45-50W per side, the rate fell off noticeably. In this configuration, the
run band was 20M, while I used the 40M yagi and 590 in radio tuner to S&P
15. This also seemed to produce only marginal results. When I went back to
"normal" config, I mistakenly left the AT "on" which
produced excessively high SWR. I lost about 15 mins of good op time before
realizing what was wrong. I also was "having trouble" with my Bencher
paddle, I tried to fix it "on the fly" and ended up over-stretching
the spring, resulting in using tape, and the little allen wrench stuck under
the spring to repair it!  LESSON LEARNED: In the early hours of the contest,
focus on running on you know what works - it's not the time for experimenting
and fixing things!

Conditions on Sat pm seemed to favor 20M for me, so I stayed with it most of
the afternoon and early evening. Surprisingly, 15 seemed to do much better
Sunday, and stayed open much longer than I expected. I decided to use up my off
times before the contest end, and had a good time operating the last 3 hours
mostly running on 40 - lots of stations, lots of fun!

I made the decision a couple of weeks ago to do this one LP. My 2nd linear,
bought used, had arrived destroyed by UPS. Rather than borrow a second amp, and
have to deal with two "manual tune" amps on band changes, I decided I
already had enough "first time" things to get used to. I'm happy with
this decision, it has shown me that LP can be very effective, and proven that my
investment of time and money into better antennas the past couple of years has
paid off.

Thanks to all for the Q's, and a great time!