[3830] SS SSB W4PK SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 22 21:19:04 EST 2015

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: W4PK
Operator(s): W4PK
Station: W4PK

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 9:17

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I spent more time trying to get my new sound card interfaced between my
computer, mic and radio than I did operating for this contest. it took some
figuring out how first just get it hooked up, then working, and then finally to
get all the levels set up correctly.

I never could figure out how to get the N1MM+
"ctrl-shift-function-key" to work properly for recording on the fly.
It would go ahead and record but with no audio, and I am sure that I have missed
something somewhere.  I used Audacity instead and I had no problem using that
program after I spent yet more time learning how to use it..

I normally do not like operating SSB since it gives me a headache after just a
few hours of operation. But for PVRC I am willing to make that sacrifice! And I
did work quite a few of the PVRC members, by the way.

I was amazed at the high numbers some of the operators had, with several more
than 2000!  My hat is off to those of you who can stand it for 24 hours or
more!

I mostly just did S&P but toward the end of the contest I tried my hand at
running some. I had the most success on 80M using just a low dipole.  I do have
an 80M four-square but I didn't discover until I tried to use it that I had high
SWR in the phone portion of the band.  It is fine in the CW portion, but my
vacuum relay switching method for changing resonance to 3.8 MHz must have taken
a lightning hit. No telling how long it had been that way since it has been
several years since I have used the phone portion of the 80M band.

This time I missed SFL and ONE for multipliers.  During the CW portion I worked
all but NT.  This time I worked several!

73, Sam W4PK