[3830] SS SSB W4LT SO Unlimited LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 22 22:20:01 EST 2015

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: W4LT
Operator(s): W4LT
Station: W4LT

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: WCF

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

The W4LT corollary:

"There's no Meters like Twenty Meters"  AMEN!

First time using the cluster on SSB.  Its great for CW, but not so much for
phone.  Seems that not enough folk spot stations, so you end up using the big
center knob just as much as in SOABLP Unassisted.  Pool technical emergency
this morning and a bathroom plumbing emergency (the shower diverter valve
broke) caused no sleeping in this morning.  Got the shower up and operational
with 10 minutes to spare for the start of the contest.  There are no plans that
survive interface with reality!

I will definitely do the cluster again for CW, but will go back to Class A for
Phone next time.  Sweep was attained when I went to 14.250 and sweet talked one
of the Puerto Rican guys that hang around there to work me for the points in
Spanish.  He obliged!

This is always a very fun contest and I enjoy the hell out of competing in it.
It was my first contest ever as a Novice back in the mid 70's and I continue to
practice mastering it.  Its simply my favorite contest of all.

Elecraft K3 with Cushcraft A3s at 40 feet and two half waves in phase at 38
feet plus a GAP MonoGAP 40 veretical at 6 inches.  It continues to be a
challenge competing with multi tower big antenna SO2R stations.  Wish there
were a triband/wires SO2V class for this contest.

73 and thank you all for the points and the fun times!

W4LT