[3830] SS SSB NA1DX(@W3LPL) SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 23 10:29:28 EST 2015

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: NA1DX
Operator(s): NA1DX
Station: W3LPL

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Maryland

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

It was my first time operating at W3LPL's station.  It also was the first time I
operated at a large multi contest station other than W3AO many years ago on the
Eastern Shore or more NA3DX’s 3AB Field Day operation.

The station time was shared with Pip/WB4FDT.  I started on time running on 20m.
  After two hours, my plan had me taking a short break for dinner, maybe a
mistake, but I had been up early that day, so I wanted to keep on a decent
energy schedule.  That helped Pip get on the better band.  After a full 30
minute break, I got back at it on 40m.  I had a sweep before going to the bunks
shortly after 3 am.  I set my alarm for 5:30, but I made a mistake and set it
for PM and not AM.  So, Pip was up at 6 am.  He jumped on 80m and I eased onto
40m.

Pip and I rotated around bands in a reasonable fashion.  His start on 80m got
him ahead of me on Qs.   We kept him on the hottest band since he had to take a
mid-day break with his XYL.  When he left, I took over trying to stay on the
most productive band.  My goal was to stay in the chair as much during the core
hours and not be in the hunt the last few hours.   I wanted to finish my 24
hours as soon as possible.

After sunset Sunday, 20m and 40m were not doing well. So, I decided to take a
30 min dinner break, pack up the gear, made my bunk, and threw a dinner in the
microwave.  I loaded up my gear in the truck and got some fresh air.   After
dinner I felt much refreshed and energy started climbing again.  The bands
seemed a bit better and I found some slots to run, with S&P here and there
as needed.

With an hour to go, I needed about 75 Qs to get me over 1200 contacts.  So, I
asked Pip if I could jump on 80m for my last hour.  He was nice enough to slide
over to 40m.  I then got a run going on 80m and bebopped to 20m to catch some
spots.  With 10 minutes left I needed less than 10 contacts.  I worked all the
spots on 80 and 20, and just kept calling CQ on 80m.  In the end, I cross the
24 hour finish line with 1202!  I had 801 last year at my home QTH.

Lot’s of fun!