[3830] SS SSB WX3B Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 23 10:34:45 EST 2015

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: WX3B
Operator(s): WX3B
Station: WX3B

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: MDC

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

The 2015 Parallel operation at WX3B was a BLAST!!

A warm welcome to Evan, KC3BWA who ran his first ever Sweepstakes effort from
WX3B in this contest...it takes a cast iron stomach to cuddle up to all those
big signals on either side of your run frequency and hammer out that MASSIVELY
long exchange QSO after QSO!!

Bill K3WI also did his sheer magic act by stating at about 6:30am as FRESH MEAT
on 80....going to 40....then 20....and 7 hours later he has over 600 QSOs in the
log and he just missed the sweep.  That's one way to keep the action going
non-stop in SS!!

Dennis N8IVN also had an excellent part time score, and he rode 15 meters for
all it was worth....also amassing an excellent multiplier total and not missing
the sweep by much.  Dennis ended at 600 QSOs.

The WX3B personal effort got off to a reasonable start with 130 QSOs in the log
the first hour on 20 meters....and that turned out to be one of two hours I met
my predicted RATE goals.  The second hour was much slower....and it wasn't
until I moved to 75m that I had a reasonable rate again.  Fortunately, 40
meters was able to also produce while 80 was being shared.

On Sunday, I am never prepared for the drudgery which makes this such an IRON
man event.  I was reasonably well-rested to start....and I expected rates in
the 30's....and that's exactly what I got!!  Fortunately 15 had a stellar
opening and even though rates were dismal, tuning around and hearing how well
the band was open was fascinating.  The back-scatter up & down the east
coast was impressive, and the signals from the mid-west and west were
bone-crushing.

At 3:00pm after 18 hours in the chair I began putting my station back together
as a multi-op for the upcoming CQWW CW DX contest, leaving Dennis N8IVN happily
on 20 meters where he finished the contest and another great SSB event  was in
the books.

This was team WX3B's first attempt at a competitive parallel operation from
WX3B.  Unlike K4VV's (former) parallel sweepstakes operations, or W3LPL's
seamless parallel effort, WX3B dedicates one radio to each team member, and
band switching is accomplished the OLD FASHIONED way....by running home run
coax jumpers to antenna resources, changing band pass filters and re-tuning
amplifiers!!  I am pleased to report there were no equipment OR operator
malfunctions, and everything worked GREAT!!  Having 3 of us in the chair(s)
Sunday afternoon was a lot of fun.

Many thanks for all the PVRC support, like others have mentioned, it was GREAT
hearing from PVRC friends, other friends, and listening to the comments about
all those east coast stations on for Sweepstakes this year.

Best wishes to all for a Happy Thanksgiving and excellent CQWW CW contest
coming up.

73,

Jim Nitzberg   WX3B