[3830] SS SSB N3MK SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 23 10:47:20 EST 2015

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: N3MK
Operator(s): N3MK
Station: N3MK

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: VA

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This was a bit of an experimental contest for me. I just purchase an Apache Labs
anan-100 SDR transceiver and used PowerSDR with N1MM. Everything was running
stable with the virtual audio and serial ports along with an Logitech USB
microphone. However, I had a lot of trouble making contacts Saturday night and
had no chance of holding down a frequency even with my KW. I played with the
audio settings all night. Rates were low. Finally on Sunday I decided to put a
switch in between my trusty Icom 756 pro III and the anan-100. As an example I
tried calling AK for 30 minutes until I was blue in the face. Switching over to
the Icom I got him on the first call through the pileup. I was also easily able
to hold down a frequency for some short runs. I'm going to have to work on the
audio with the Apache Labs rig. SDR is amazing technology but there are so many
options and configurations that it will take time to really get it working
optimally. Granted, I've had my trusty 756 and have the audio tweaked to
perfection, but I didn't think it would be so hard to get it right with the
Apache. The whole setup was quite stable on Windows 10. The potential of the
Apache with PowerSDR is definitely there - Don N3MK