[3830] SS SSB KK7AC Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 23 19:45:17 EST 2015

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: KK7AC
Operator(s): KK7AC
Station: KK7AC

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: AZ
Operating Time (hrs):

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

QSO #432 in just under the 12 hour mark provided me a sweep with VO1MP in NL
after a band switch from 20 to 15M. Achiving the real goal of this contest, my
appetite for sitting in the chair for the remainder of the contest grew dim, so
I imposed a goal of acquiring 700 Q's in honor of the Nataions Station,
"The Big One" 700 WLW; the dream and ultimate reality of Powell
Crosley. (I received inspiration after working the VOA radio club station just
down Tylersville Road in Mason Ohio about a mile from where the great WLW
transmitter lives with the big beautiful diamond shaped Blau-Knox tower that
pumps out 50KW and great programming to this day).

But I was running on 20M when I hit 700 and over shot it by 2 (I could not
ignore those that continued to call, ya know?). Suffering from OCD, I could not
stop at 702, so once again I set a goal of another, but not as great, mid-west
station, WGN, which resides on 720 on the AM dial. So that's it -720 and I shut
it down.

This is good because the next great midwestern AM blow torch I could think of
was "the other" Chicago station; WLS on 890KHz.....and I sure as hell
was not working until 890. Although I respect Larry Lujack, Lil Tommy Johnson,
Don Wade John Records Landecker, Steve Dahl, Gary Meier and Dick Biondi, I
could not do it.

1120 KMOX (ala Bob Heil, K9EID and the SK Bob White, KM0X) in St. Louis was
next, so imagine my plunder?.

It's a mid-western thing -maybe you would not understand. Did I go off the
trail ?