[3830] SS SSB KT8K Single Op QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 24 01:47:32 EST 2015

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: KT8K
Operator(s): KT8K
Station: KT8K

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: EN82ch SE Michigan
Operating Time (hrs): 14:20

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Hi everybody - I had fun and hope you did, too.
I had a lackluster Saturday evening though, due to a sinus headache that made
shouting into a microphone uncomfortable.  Conditions weren't especially great
either.  Still, I dug in and put 50 in the log in the first 3 hours or so - not
bad for QRP SSB.  Sunday both my head and the conditions were better but by
0100Z everyone was piled up in 75 meters and the three new stations I could
find in a careful scan had huge and constant pileups - impossible to penetrate
with my QRP-to-dipole signal.  So I quit early - unusual for me but I was
pretty exhausted.
It was great to put so many of my fellow Mad River club colleagues in the log,
though.  Go Mad River!
Now I'm stoked for the big one next weekend - CW - my favorite - so 73 and I'll
see ya on down the log!  Best reception to all - Tim, KT8K

equipment:
- Tentec Orion dialed down to <5 Watts
- WGA TR2000 headset with footswitch
- ancient XP laptop struggling to run N1MM+

antennas:
- 20/40/80m 3 wire "W", tree suspended, feed point at about 45 feet
- 10/15/20 vertical dipole, feed point at 60 feet (cushcraft A3 driven
element)
- 500 foot horizontal (somewhat) loop fed with TV twin lead and LDG Z-11
autotuner