[3830] CQWW CW K3SW SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 29 13:27:48 EST 2015

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K3SW
Operator(s): K3SW
Station: K3SW

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: PA

  160:   11     8        7
   80:   63    11       58
   40:  269    24      102
   20:  305    30      100
   15:  314    27      102
   10:   64    19       51

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

This was going to be the year that I would (a) spend 40 hours in the chair and
(b) log 2500 Qs. Alas it was not to be. Only 30 minutes before the half way
point of the contest, I had to shut down.

I got off to a good start but as usual spent too much time chasing multipliers.
I ran for a total of 7 hrs and had rates over 100 per hr much of the time. I
slept for 6 hrs instead of my planned 4 but I don't do well without sleep. I
ate all my meals at the station, my sweet wife brought me food. In fact I
didn't leave the chair at all until 23.5 hrs into the contest and I operated
continuously. Yes, I have a Porta-Potti in the shack.

At that point, I had 1026 Qs and 1.6M points. So why did I shut down at the
half way point.

I started having pain in my abdomen about 5 days before the contest. I was
pretty sure I knew what it was, I've already had 5 kidney stones and this felt
like #6 was revving up his engines for its final flight to oblivion. But I
hoped I could make it thru the contest even with the pain which at that point
was quite tolerable.

Friday night wasn't too painful and I was excited to be operating but by
Saturday morning the pain was more than distracting. Yet I continued on,
determined to be a good FRC soldier, but after lunch, the pain was more than I
could bear. Even so, I continued to run EUs on 40, 20 and 15 but at 6:30 pm ET,
I just couldn't take it any more. So I closed the log, snorted a Percoset and
went to bed. This morning the pain was up a few db so we went to the ER to see
if it really was a kidney stone or something worse.

As it turns out, it's stone #6 for sure. I'm woozy from the medication so
getting back on the air is out of the question.

So I filed my log and that's it for CQ-WW-CW-2015 at Kilo Three Scotch Whisky!

Steve...73...and Go FRC!....