[3830] CQWW CW N7GP(N5IA) SOSB(A)/160 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 29 23:56:49 EST 2015

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N7GP
Operator(s): N5IA
Station: N5IA

Class: SOSB(A)/160 HP
QTH: AZ - DM52
Operating Time (hrs): 26
Remote Operation

  160:  429    27       61

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

I am in total agreement with the comments, regards propagation from west of the
Continental Divide, made by Bob, W7RH.  Thankfully there was very little QRN to
contend with so only the poor prop conditions had to be dealt with by the
dedicated Top Band operators.

For me there were only two brief windows of minimal off continent openings.
The first night less than a dozen southern Zone 14 and 15, and Zone 33 stations
were worked with very weak signals.  ZD8W provided the Zone 36 contact.

I worked every one of the Caribbean and Central American station that I heard.

PZ and CE prefixes were welcomed from the South American direction.  After EU
sunrise I CQed directly to ZL at their sunset, with no response.  I then
alternated between the southwest direction to ZL and VK3 with the northwest
direction to JA,etc.  JA3YBK was worked at 0807 and a sprinkling of very low
level JAs entered the log over the next 5 hours.  A very weak RT0C was logged
at 0950.

CQing directly to northern and western VK land at their sunset brought success
with VK6LW at 1128 followed immediately by V6A at 1129.  VK4KW called in with a
great signal at 1249.

A mini JA run with slightly improved signal levels started at 1258 and
continued for one hour until my sun rise at 1400.  A total of 68 JA stations
entered the log and was the highlight of Night One.  Topping on the cake was a
call from 9M6NA at 1404, a few minutes after the sun had come over the horizon
to my east.  My stats for Night One were 287 - 21 - 42.

Night Two started very slow with only D4C and CN2AA contacted in the 0Z hour.
At 0130 a light opening to EU started and continued for two hours until 0330.
During that time I added 5 Zones and 14 countries with only 19 stations worked.
But it was enough to really make the score elevate with the Q count from the JAs
the night before.

During the next 4 hours I worked only 4 additional EU stations but no new
countries.  At 0511 LT1F called in for a nice double mult.  The most difficult
Q of both nights was with T46A as he was smothered by signals from nearby Zone
5.  But perseverance paid off and he was in the log at 0730.

PY2DO called in at 0738 for another nice double mult.  At ZL sunset I again
CQed directly to the islands.  This time I was rewarded by ZL4AS answering my
CQ with a good signal at 0839.

At 0958 JA7NI was the first JA station worked for Night Two.  Note that this
was a full two hours later than Night One for the first JA to be heard and
worked.  A total of 23 more, mostly very weak signal, JA stations were added to
the log over the last 4 hours of the contest.  The two night total was 92 three
point contacts with Japan.  These very FB operators are our only salvation for
a decent score in Top Band CW contests from out here in the west.  Thanks a lot
to all of them.

At 1242 T2TT was the last mult worked.  The last Q for points was with JR7VHZ
at 1248.  Both RT0C and KH6DX were ESP signals at this time, indicative of the
VERY POOR conditions.

I had worked both Bob, DU7ET, and Kim, HL5IVL two mornings previous with good
signals.  Neither of them, or other stations from their respective areas, were
heard either night/morning.  No Chinese stations were heard.  With just
slightly better conditions perhaps one more Zone and 3 more countries could
have been worked in that direction.  But as Bob, W7RH says; "That is Top
Band".

During all the 'spare' time both nights I handed out Zone 3 Top Band contacts
for zero points to 190 W/K/N stations in Zones 3, 4 & 5.  So, only 239 of
my Q total were for scoring.

Among those 239 were a total of 52 stations from VE Land, our great Canadian
neighbors to the north.  Thanks for being there and providing those 104 points
to my log.  Tambien, un abrazo fuerte y muchas gracias a los seis colegas de la
Tierra XE quienes llamaron a mi estacion.

To all those who called and I couldn't copy your call sign, please pardon my
inabilities.  I do the best I can.  I do still have some harsh power line noise
to contend with.

CU all in the ARRL 160 contest this next weekend.

73 de Milt, N5IA, operator of N7GP