[3830] CQWW CW W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 30 01:15:36 EST 2015

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA

  160:    1     1        1
   80:    7     4        4
   40:   41    14       20
   20:   55    21       31
   15:  139    23       61
   10:   54    19       32

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Station W8QZA - W6QU

Radio: Elecraft K-2, 5 Watts.

Antennas:
  10-15-20 Meters: 3 el Stepp-IR up 32 feet
  40-160 Meters: DX-LB trap dipole up 30 feet
  40-80 Meters: Butternut HF-2V Vertical with 3 radials

We went to San Francisco to celebrate Thanksgiving. So all day Saturday found
me on Interstate 5 heading 500 miles home. We got home at 9:30 PM and by 10:30
I was on the air. I had set up the rig and logging program to be ready to go,
and it all worked well.

My long time friend Phil, N0KE, had e-mailed me that low band conditions were
very good.  And they were.  On 40, I was able to get into Europe for a couple
of Qs and work ZD8W with my 5 watts and Butternut vertical. That is a pretty
rare happening for me!

I slept 3 1/2 hours after Europe died down and then stayed in the chair for the
rest of the contest.  Even so, I was only able to log 13.2 hours at the rig.

Conditions were also good on the upper bands, but I only managed one QSO into
Europe on 10 Meters (CR2X).

My best QSOs included working C92ZO who I found on 20 Meters calling blank CQs
on an open frequency! I also got VK6LW on 20 Meters on the long path Sunday
afternoon. I got BY5CD on 40 for the only BY I managed to work in the entire
contest. ZD8W was very active with great signals, and I got him on 10-15-20 and
even 40 Meters.

My DXCC was 73 and WAZ was 28, not bad for 13.2 hours of op time with 5 watts
and a modest station. 20% of my Qs were in Europe compared to 34% last year, a
sure sign that we are on the down side of the sun spots.

Working only during the last 18 hours of this contest turned out to be much
more fun than I expected. Many piles are worked down, and every signal is a new
station. As you might expect, my rates were considerably higher than when I
start in the beginning of a contest and work through it.

The score may not be much, but it was a lot of fun!

....Bill W8QZA - W6QU