[3830] CQWW CW GM4AFF SOSB/160 QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 30 07:29:35 EST 2015

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: GM4AFF
Operator(s): GM4AFF
Station: GM4AFF

Class: SOSB/160 QRP
QTH:

  160:  409    11       52

I knew I would have neither the stamina nor the time to do a full SOAB entry
this year so decided to try single band 160m QRP. I set my target as the GM
record, and having no idea how well I was going to do, was amazed when I passed
this on Saturday.
I have to thank some very good operators for pulling me out of the noise. Some
QSOs were a struggle, especially for the DX end! I was surprised that I
achieved better results from running than from S&P. I didn't expect anyone
to hear my feeble CQs, but in reality it is very hard to be heard when calling
someone and the entire world is also calling them. It requires patience! Better
to band-map and go back later.
I used an inverted V dipole and a top loaded vertical, with a NW and a SE
beverage and a NE Ewe. The difference between the vertical and horizontal
antennas is very noticeable and makes all the difference between a QSO or not.
Maybe not a surprise to some, but the US in the early morning was stronger on
the dipole than the vertical. And speaking of US, I never expected to work the
US but was amazed that I got heard by a number of stations, and even some heard
my CQs; I guess I was skimmed. I couldn't believe it when I worked zone 4. Every
QSO was a triumph and being called by RW0A in Zone 18 was fantastic.
I suffered form the blind caller syndrome, where someone has obviously seen you
spotted and just calls without stopping to see if he can actually hear you. And
when he can't he sort-of works you anyway.
I enjoy the Stew Perry as QRP, but whether I do another CQ WW QRP is in the
balance, but this contest was really enjoyable in many ways, and (as they say
on Ebay) "*** would recommend ***".
73
Stewart
GM4AFF