[3830] CQWW CW N4WW M/M HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 30 09:50:49 EST 2015

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N4WW
Operator(s): N4WW N4KM K0LUZ DL6BW K1PT W4LT WF3C
Station: N4WW

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Apopka, FL

  160:  214    16       76
   80:  784    28      105
   40: 1611    40      139
   20: 1881    40      151
   15: 1473    34      130
   10:  798    30      112

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Thanks to all the N4WW ops for coming out. We fought some hardware problems
before the contest, with computer power supply issues, a broken Ethernet
router, and a failure of two amplifiers. However, we managed to get everything
working before 0000z on Saturday and it stayed working through 2359z on Sunday.
Thanks in particular to K1PT for fixing the battle-scarred LK800, to W4LT for
fixing the Alpha 77 tune capacitor coupler, and to DL6BW and N4KM for helping
with various computer issues.

Thanks to K1PT and W4LT for coming in from out of the area. We were a little
thin to staff a full-fledged M/M, but we pressed on with plenty of op time for
everyone.

We were very pleased with propagation on all bands. We got a 10m opening on
both days that our friends in the mid-Atlantic and Northeast (and in Western
PA) did not enjoy. We also had the first runnable 160m conditions that I can
remember during CQWW. Usually from here 160m is strictly S&P, but we had an
hour or more of runnable EU, which made up for 20m being totally dead to EU
(with the exception of 9A1A) at the same time.

Thanks also to Sandi and Doc for putting up with a minor invasion of their home
on Thabksgiving weekend, and to all members of the crew for setup assistance and
positive attitude throughout the weekend.

Highlights included 2BWAZ (a first for us, on 20m and 40m) and winning 10m.
Lowlights included a balky 40m rotator, which stuck while working two
multipliers, V73NS on Sunday morning and HS0ZAR on Saturday morning.
Fortunately we managed to free it up again without any climbing.

160m - FT5000 + Emtron, 2-element full-size 1/4 wave vertical array
80m - K3S + Alpha 77, 2-element M2 Yagi @ 130' or 4-square
40m - FT1000MP + AL1500, 4-element M2 @ 140'
20m - FT5000 + Alpha 77, 4/4/4 @ 150' and/or 6-element OWA @ 130'
15m - TS590 + Alpha 76, 5/5/5 @ 100' and/or 6-element OWA @ 130'