[3830] CQWW CW N5AW SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 30 12:46:54 EST 2015

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N5AW
Operator(s): N5AW
Station: N5AW

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: TX

  160:   31    10       14
   80:  185    25       75
   40:  442    32       96
   20:  393    36       98
   15:  730    31      104
   10:  194    24       63

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Congratulations to K7RL for a great LP score from the West Coast! Maybe
increasing activity from places like BY and YB is finally leveling the playing
field a bit. Of course N9RV as well but he could do it from the moon. Also hats
off to fellow CTDXCC member K5NA who worked 5BDXCC as single op assisted. Don't
know how he found 100 countries on ten - amazing.

Something about CQWW that attracts rain to central Texas. After almost 4 months
with no significant rain we had lots of it on the phone weekend. Sure enough
here it comes again for CW. Not as much this time (about 2.5" or 10 cm)
but enough to cause pretty severe rain static Friday evening and Saturday
morning. A bigger problem for me was a bad cold that was at it's worst at the
beginning of the contest. Would have probably packed it in if not for the WRTC
qualifying points. By Sunday I was feeling better but still not up to par. I
think feeling so bad and being drugged up affected my thinking Saturday as I
spent way too much time on an unproductive 10 meters. Just enough European
signals to tease me into thinking a good band opening could occur at any time
but never did.

80 meters was better than during the phone weekend - a personal best for the
number of QSOs there and second best zones and countries. Think it will be
possible for a low power station to work 100 countries on 80 during the next
sunspot minimum.

10 was a little better Sunday and thanks to a nice JA run in the last hour I
barely exceeded my 80 meter QSO numbers (but not multipliers).

15 was the money band for me with back to back hours of 140 and 138 (including
2nd radio QSOs) on Sunday morning and a new personal best for total QSOs.

Intermittent switching problems with some of my antennas that occurred during
the phone weekend showed up again. Perhaps related to the rain? Need to find
the cause but intermittents are always tough.

Score is down quite a bit from last year. Not as much fun with this darn cold
but still the best contest of them all.

Marv N5AW

                               Continent List

                    160    80    40    20    15    10   ALL
                    ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---
      USA calls =     1     2    13    11    20     5    52
   Canada calls =    12    17    25    32    39    11   136
       NA calls =    11    22    18    31    30    19   131
       SA calls =     4    16    19    47    34    54   174
     Euro calls =     1    90   281   175   450    38  1035
  African calls =     0    10    15    23    19    11    78
    Asian calls =     0     2    15    19    10     0    46
    Japan calls =     0    18    51    18   114    36   237
    Ocean calls =     2     9     7    10    19    20    67

     Total calls =    31   186   444   366   735   194 1956