[3830] CQ WW RTTY AB1J SOSB(A)/40 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Fri Oct 2 20:52:35 EDT 2015

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: AB1J
Operator(s): AB1J
Station: AB1J

Class: SOSB(A)/40 LP
QTH: Waltham, MA

   80:
   40:  487      51      57    15
-----------------------------------
Total:  487      51      57    15  Total Score = 105,165

I haven't done a 40m single band entry since Cycle 24 heated up.  I had
reservations about doing an all-nighter (first night only), but decided to
toughen up for the lean sunspot years ahead.  Conditons were good but not
great.  I didn't work any long haul DX and very little from South America.  Not
one LU.

My 40m antenna starts out from my shack window at about 20 feet and descends
rapidly down over a cliff, ending up below my back yard ground level.  After
dark I sneak out and prop it up at the cliff's edge with a 15 foot pole and
sneak it down again before dawn.  The farthest end of the antenna still goes
down over the cliff, but the bulk of the antenna is then 15-20 feet up.
Without the pole, it is almost invisible.  The whole back yard is about 8 feet
lower than the front yard, so from that point of view, the antenna is very low.
I'd never call it an aerial.

I operate low power RTTY with an antenna like this for fun.  I sometimes wonder
what I'd do for not fun.  Probably the WAE.

Still, the contest went well and I did better than I'd expected.  I managed my
awake/sleep times pretty well between No-Doz and Ambien, so the contest itself
went smoothly but I still crashed on Monday.  Guess its an iron clad rule: you
play, you pay (in that order).

I ran more than usual and about 41% of my Qs were from running (or as least
CQing).  That's an all time high for me.

I have a lot of issues with N1MM+ and need many work-arounds to successfully
use it, so I went back to N1MM Classic for the contest.  I missed some N1MM+
features, like the semi-integration of GRITTY.  I ran GRITTY stand-alone which
was still useful.

Thanks for all the contacts.

73,
Ken, AB1J