[3830] CaQP K6Z M/MCntyExp HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Oct 6 21:06:16 EDT 2015

                    California QSO Party

Call: K6Z
Operator(s): W6PH WA1Z KI6VC K6ZZ K6ZED
Station: K6Z

Class: M/MCntyExp HP
QTH: Inyo

  160:    88     21
   10:    47     12
    6:     0      0
    2:     0      0
--------------------
Total:  1435   2075  Mults = 58  Total Score = 490,390

Club: Bishop Amateur Radio Club

Comments:

Another very enjoyable CQP from Inyo County.  Our setup this year was nearly
identical to last year although we considered not bothering with a 10M
antenna/station not knowing what conditions would be like.  I'm glad we went
ahead with it anyway although 10M was only moderately productive for us on
Sunday with zip on Saturday.  We were short four of our normal crew members
which made for extra operating time and setup/teardown time for the folks who
could make it.

The setup consisted of four K3 stations two of which used KPA-500 amps, one
SB-220 and one Expert 1.3K FA.  Antennas consisted of homebrew Yagi's for
10M-20M and a Cushcraft 402CD for 40M all on 48' tall AB-577 masts.  We hung an
80M dipole off the 15M Yagi boom and a 40M Inverted-L off the 40M AB-577.  All
antennas, masts, radios and computers were drug over to the site and setup on
Thursday and Friday.  It's amazing how much faster everything comes down
compared to setting it all up!  N1MM was used for logging.  We had a few
technical problems but nothing substantial.  The biggest issue was RFI into the
40M station from the 402CD nearly overhead.  This caused numerous problems which
we will address next year.

We had terrible winds on Thursday and Friday which made cranking the AB-577
masts up a major pain.  We struggled to keep tension on the guys to keep the
masts from buckling as we cranked them up.  The weather on Saturday was fairly
decent but then the rain, wind and lightening hit hard Sunday.  We took
everything down in a thunderstorm because we couldn't leave it there.

Overall we had another great time.  Thanks to everyone for the QSO's and to the
NCCC for sponsoring this great contest.

73, Bob K6ZZ for Team Zed