[3830] 222FallSprnt K9JK/R(@C0ROVEROLLA) Rover LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 11 15:09:22 EDT 2015

                    222 MHz Fall Sprint

Call: K9JK/R
Operator(s): K9JK
Station: C0ROVEROLLA

Class: Rover LP
QTH:

Total:  QSOs = 33  Mults = 18  Tot Dist(km) = 1079  Total Score = 594

Almost doubled last year's 17 QSOs, 1 extra multiplier but fewer
unique mults. and 40% lower total DX than in 2014.

Antennas were an omni (KU4AB 222 loop at about 4' above the roof
of theCoROVERolla) and a 5 element M-Squared yagi that I was able
to raise on a painter's pole through the driver's side back seat
window of the CoROVERolla to about 15 feet but I was only able to
do that at my EN61 stop.

Radio was my 'old faithful' FT-736R transceiver, with a TE Systems
2212G brick that needs to be manually switched between T and R.

Big thanks to Mike, WB8BZK/R, who chased me around the grid corner
with a 222 HT inside his rovermobile for the bump in QSO count.

Beside the QSOs with Mike, there were six other fixed stations that
I was able to contact, same count of fixed stations as in 2014 but
only two were 'repeaters', four of the calls were 'new' year over
year and I was able to contact three of those six fixed stations
from all four of the grids I visited.

I *HEARD* a few more distant stations but was not able to get any
of them to hear me (even with the brick). I had the beam up when I
copied W8MIL but no copy on his end. When W9ZIH was working VE3ZV,
I actually copied a few bits of Steve's transmission but it was
mostly at or below the noise floor...I didn't try to call Steve.
Later, when I had switched back to the omni (to facilitate mobility),
I copied N8ZM quite well on CW as the operator (I don't think it was
Tom) completed with W9ZIH. There I *did* try to tail-end but no
completion there.

My best "DX" was up to WD9BGA in EN53 while I had the yagi raised
in EN61 - 195 km. Second best DX was ALSO with Karl as I was heading
home but with the omni antenna and barefoot. I was hearing Karl quite
well as I drove but he was not hearing me until I was on an overpass
just before I exited but we weren't able to complete until I headed
back up to the overpass and we were able to complete. That was my
33rd contact and netted me the EN53 mult. from EN52.

Thanks to all who were on and participated.

Thanks to the SVHFS for their continued Sponsorship of the Fall Sprints
and to Bruce Horn, WA7BNM for supporting the Sprints and so many OTHER
radiosport events with the 3830scores.com web site.

73, JK