[3830] SAC SSB OH5TS SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 12 09:59:34 EDT 2015

                    Scandinavian Activity Contest, SSB

Call: OH5TS
Operator(s): OH5TS
Station: OH5TS

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Kuorsalo EU-140

   10:    2     2
-------------------
Total:  784   141  Total Score = 230,112

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

Boy, this game was not for small guns!
My 40 year old Drake L4B has served without a problem until just an hour before
the contest. The blower propeller just cracked apart. Luckily I found a tube of
power glue and squeezed it all to the pieces and pressed them together. I
started the amp just 5 minutes before the contest and it functioned. Then
during the night the L4B antenna relay started to malfunction causing hot
switching with low signal and poor audio. I checked the cables over and over
but could not find a problem. That and the propagation put me to bed at 2 AM.
When I restarted in the morning the relay problem was even worse. I finally
checked the win-test configuration and the problem was there, PTT was set off.
I did not want to bother people too much to ask a QSY for mults because it
takes ages to change the band with my manual ant switch and L4B amp. I really
counted the bands to open just before the end of the contest. Unfortunately it
never happened.
Many thanks to all the callers. It was still a great fun!
The rig: K3 plus Drake L4B @ 700 w out.
10 - 20 m a 3 stack of AD-223 to main direction plus one jp-2000 +120 degrees
40 m a KLM 40M2 @ 29,5 m
80 m a sloping dipole towards South from the upper bearing of the tower.
Win-test 4.18