[3830] Oceania CW ZM2IO(ZL3IO) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 12 20:59:42 EDT 2015

                    Oceania DX Contest, CW

Call: ZM2IO
Operator(s): ZL3IO
Station: ZM2IO

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Waimarama Heights

  160:    1     1
   80:  131    91
   40:  483   286
   20:  268   190
   15:  174   107
Total: 1078   694  Total Score = 3,014,402

The station is still partly dismantled but hopefully back up for the CQWWDX
contests. The two main towers are currently down. Therefore no 10/15/40 m beams
available except for two small hexbeams (20-10m) @ 9m.
10m opened only for a short time and I left that slot to my daughter ZL4YL (14
yrs). She made her license 2 months ago and local regulation limit her to
160/80/10m on HF for the first 3 months.
10/15m conditions were very disappointing from down here or may be it was due
to the low gain antennas. I also think the local Japanese CW contest was
distractive, especially on the low bands.

This contest needs more Oceania activity! While I worked quite a lot of VK/ZL's
I doubt that stations overseas had the same impressions. It probably came down
to 6-7 stations each from VK & ZL. Not a single YB station was worked here
and only 1 x DU.
My strategy was to focus on 80m whenever conditions would allow and than 40m or
high bands due to the different points per band. There was some good competition
with VK2DX & VK2IM. They had much higher QSO numbers and we will see how it
worked out with higher points on low bands and multipliers worked.  Despite my
negative feeling during long slow periods (15/10) I ended up with an unexpected
good score.

Thank you all for your calls.

73 Holger

Rig: K3 + KPA500