[3830] Oceania CW ZM2B(ZL2BR) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Oct 15 02:36:48 EDT 2015

                    Oceania DX Contest, CW

Call: ZM2B
Operator(s): ZL2BR
Station: ZM2B

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: New Plymouth

   80:    9     9
   40:  422   265
   20:  149   115
   15:  183   116
Total:  777   516  Total Score = 1,425,369

A very disappointing result. My lowest score since 1999 and my lowest number of
contacts since about 1980! On 40m in particular there were heaps of callers
that I was very sorry I could just not resolve.

It's hard to believe that a few a few years ago during the last period of low
SFI, that I could make 175 contacts on 80m and 660 contacts on 40m.

My problem is that because I live in an outer city suburb the EMC noise level
is forever on the increase, plus I feel I have a new noise problem from a
nearby 220kV power line, which I intend to investigate.

With the SFI around 81, 15m and 10m were as expected, open but only just.

As other VK/ZL operators have mentioned, the number of Oceania stations active
was very low this year, the poor conditions on the higher bands probably didn't
help, but we, that is - ZL, VK, YB etc definitely need to up our act in this
regard.

Station set-up, was IC-7600, around 750watts, C-3SS yagi at 10m, 40m GP at 7m,
40m dipole for receive, 80m dipole at 15m.

73, Frank ZL2BR/ZM2B