[3830] TBDC N1CC Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 18 09:26:50 EDT 2015

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Warmup

Call: N1CC
Operator(s): N1CC
Station: N1CC

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: North Texas

Total:  QSOs = 45  Total Score = 128

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

Elecraft K3/100 @100W to Inverted L 50' vertical, 78' horizontal.  2 Elevated
radials 135' long.  PRO-1B Loop for reception, as needed.

Had not planned on working this event.  However, the Labradoodles went
ballistic on me at 1015Z with a small herd of deer in the front yard.  OK! Now
I am awake, so got on for 2-hours to see how system is working.

Completed 45 contacts, for sure did not complete with a VE3, K3IE or N5PJ when
I could not pull them through the noise.  There were other callers I missed as
well ... still much work to be done on receive side.  I chose to call CQ after
my first contact with K4WW ... no spotting used.  After shutting down I went on
packet and did SH/DX 160 ... saw only a few posts, such as K4BAI that I might
have looked for if spotting was allowed for SOLP stations ... noted that I had
not been spotted so my rate was not enhanced by "assisted" folks.

I also went to the RBN, post-operation and found that between 1036Z and 1246Z I
was found by RBN sites 95 times.  This is for research, not aid during SP
event...what is neat is that at K8ND my puny signal was peaking with 92 dB SNR
levels!  Many others had me at near 30 dB SNR (KO7SS, W8WWV, N7TR, AA4VV, and
W4KKN) - couple the audio recording of the event and this will be very helpful
in working out changes that I need to make on 160M.

So I did operate as "a boy and his radio" and post-contest have
commenced a study to improve the station.  Thanks for a good wake-up call
today!