[3830] JARTS AB1J Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Oct 21 09:07:27 EDT 2015

                    JARTS WW RTTY Contest

Call: AB1J
Operator(s): AB1J
Station: AB1J

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Waltham, MA

Total:  468   139  Total Score = 159,850

73 means Best Regards (from the old landline telegraphers' Phillips Code).  73s
means Best Regardses.  VY 73s means Very Best Regardses.

That's all very nice.  I'm 73 and that's not the best age for the JARTS.  Am I
telling folks my age or wishing them the best? I got more repeat requests than
ever this year.

Based on past experience, next year I'll be 74 and this won't be a problem.
I'd rather be 72, but that's not likely, and then I'd just do the 73 thing all
over again. So it's best just to be over and done with it.

Worked ten EUs on 10m.  I had the same feeling I get on the last nice fall days
before winter truly sets in.  I hope 10m has enough oomph left in it for the Ten
Meter RTTY in December.

I used the N1MM Logger+ in spite of a number of problems I have with it on
RTTY.  Apparently I'm the only person in the whole world using it in my exact
configuration (that's certainly possible).  Every bug I've reported has been
attributed to UBD (User Brain Damage).  Maybe I was dropped on the head as an
infant.

GRITTY has a JARTS setting, which I suppose means it looks for two digit
exchange numerical values 00-99. It did a very good job digging out the data,
but you still have to manually enter it in the logger.

It's interesting that on occasion there is noise or distortion that makes every
decoder (four in my case) wrong, and often agreeing with each other, all wrong
in exactly the same way.  You can't do much about that as it's a propagation
glitch and the decoders are just doing as they're told.

I wish JARTS would either change this contest to 24 hours or support more entry
categories and give out more award certificates.  That should boost activity.
There's no reason it can't be as big as the CQ-WW-RTTY.

This was intended to be a casual operation, but I was having fun and it got a
bit out of hand.  Was surprised I put in 22 hours.  It was beautiful outside
but cold, so it was nice to be snug in my shack.

Thanks to all.

73,
Ken, AB1J