[3830] CQWW SSB P49Y(AE6Y) SOAB Classic HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 25 20:11:23 EDT 2015

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: P49Y
Operator(s): AE6Y
Station: P49Y

Class: SOAB Classic HP
QTH: Aruba

  160:    3     1        3
   80:  226    14       45
   40:  535    18       62
   20:  964    28       83
   15: 1108    26       78
   10: 2339    26       81

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Having really enjoyed the 24-hour "classic" version of CQWW last year
in CW, I decided to do it again in phone.  Last year it was a social issue --
my family was on the island with me for Thanksgiving, and I wanted to spend
more time with them and less on the air or as a zombie after the contest.  This
year I was by myself, but the idea of celebrating one's 70th birthday (Sunday)
alone is bad enough without the concomitant hallucinations and fatigue that go
with  a full-blown effort in this contest.  It also leads to a certain
simplification of transport; for example, I could simply use the resident shack
K3, without having to bring down my own for a second radio.

An interesting question is what strategy to use to pick your 24 hours. Last
year, I just basically operated the first half of the contest, since I wanted
to be free on Sunday, but this year I had no such constraints. However, I ended
up basically doing the same thing but reserving about 3 1/2 hours for Sunday. I
got on briefly at our sunrise to try to work some Asian DX on 40 and again
briefly on 10 in the local morning, then spent the remaining hours in the high
rate periods on 10 and 15 roughly from 1730 to 2100Z. Not sure that was
optimal, but it was fun!

Conditions seemed to be quite good on the high bands.  40 was OK, 80 was noisy
and 160 so noisy as to be virtually unusable (and one of the impediments of
only using one radio is the difficulty of checking on other bands while running
a pileup.  This is easier to do on CW, even with one radio, but it is much more
difficult to manage your run frequency on phone).

As usual the house is in great shape and all the equipment worked, even our 91B
into which we had to put a replacement transformer last month.  Thanks to
co-owner John, W6LD, and frequent user Ed, W0YK, for their efforts, and to Cris
and Jean-Pierre (P43C and P43A) for their house maintenance.

Aruba was well represented in this contest, not only by myself and fellow
visitors P40W (W2GD) and P40A (KK9A), but also by Aruban newly minted contester
Lisandro, P43L, who is very enthusiastic about this aspect of the hobby and
seemed to be having a ball.

73, and thanks for all the Qs.
Andy, AE6Y, P49Y

Rig: K3, Alpha 91B
Ant: 2 el 10, 5 el 15, 4 el 20, 2 el 40, 1 el 80, vert dipole 160, C31,
beverages
software: CQPWIN

Full writeup will be on www.arubaqth.com