[3830] CQWW SSB W1UE(@W1KM) SOAB(A) LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 25 20:45:23 EDT 2015

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W1UE
Operator(s): W1UE
Station: W1KM

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: MA

  160:   17     7       14
   80:  180    18       74
   40:  273    22       92
   20:  341    33      123
   15:  512    31      115
   10:  869    30      122

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I actually had a good time in a phone contest!  Almost everything worked,
including propagation for the most part.  10M was very good, 15M was very good,

80 was ok and 160M was bad.  I heard a few Europeans in the first 2 hours of
the contest, and after that they went away.  A gentle whooshing sound was on
the band and, other than a short time around European sunset, I couldn't hear
any of them on 160M.  I had heard that a CME was on its way, but it wasn't
supposed to hit until Sunday.    Saturday was also bad on 160M; the only
Europeans I worked were right around their sunrise and even the Caribbean
stations were weak.

There was one station that was like a beacon on 160M- HK1NA.  I could always
hear them.  I don't know what they were using- or not using- for a Rx antenna,
or what their weather was, but they never heard me.  I was only using 100watts,
and with the full size vertical in a salt water marsh that is usually enough,
but not this weekend.

Had 175 and 150 hours on 10M Sunday morning; lots of fun!  Thanks to Greg W1KM
for the use of his great station.  See you all from PY for CQWW CW, and from CX
for ARRL 160M, 10M RTTY, and ARRL 10.  After that, some rest!

Dennis W1UE