[3830] CQWW SSB VE9AA SOAB Classic LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 25 21:04:36 EDT 2015

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: SOAB Classic LP
QTH: nb

  160:   12     3        3
   80:   41     8       16
   40:  102    16       49
   20:  360    18       66
   15:  499    18       82
   10:  279    20       80

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

After being sick for more than 2 weeks I just didn't have enough gas left in the
tank to do a full on iron pants 42-46hr session in this one.

So I did what I could and settled for the next best thing.  The
"CLASSIC"....Settled might be a strong term as I have tried it before
and always enjoyed it, but the WRTC points just aren't there if you only do 24
of 48 hours in this event.

I slept most of both nights and woke to miserable sinus headaches.

As a bonus, now my son is sick on the couch and is sipping some Neo Citrin
(hi)

In any case, I got to try SO2R "for real" and here are my comments on
SO2R:

Well, after this weekend, this was my first, what I'll call "full bore,
full on, major contest" running true SO2R...

(well, as true as it can be running LP and very small antennas.). I would've
preferred CW, but it is what it is.

I have tried it in the small 1 hour CWT's and in WAG (which is 95% a S&P
event)

I did run a very little  bit and did some dual S&P (no dual CQ's though,
which I will try in the really slow VHF contests)

My ears are still ringing from two different  audio feeds into the ears,
swapping and putting in stereo as need be.

With LP I had a hard time on SSB getting people to notice me until the last 50
minutes, where I had a pretty good run of W. Eu and E. USA on 20m phone.
Figures.....I had run out of time (24 hours) and now the bands were open !
I have no idea if I was doing it right, nor how other contesters were doing.

Lots of the VE3 guys had big pileups and were pretty decent on backscatter

I fat fingered probably a dozen contacts as I learn all the keystrokes and
N1MM's ESM at the same time.

I also did my first full recording of the event as heard in my ears.
(I have already sent the log, but might listen to it once I recover just to see
what I did right (and wrong )

It's "definitely different" for sure.  I think it would be more
enjoyable for :

A big station with big antennas & power.

Slow Sunday afternoons for slightly smaller contests.

RAC Winter, ARRL SS, etc. and some  NAQP\s, where you can run but have time
between QSO's

 I ran the K5KA/N6TV CBS CABSTATS (log analyzer) after the contest on my log
and it said I had 188 band changes with 9.1% probable 2nd radio QSO's (cool!)

I don't know if 9.1% is good, but I sure wouldn't toss away 120 QSO's for the
fun of it, so I guess I'll take it !

Any thoughts, comments or questions on SO2R ?

Thanks for digging out my pipsqueak signal !

IC-7410 & HF9V
IC-746 & ZS6BKW

AA