[3830] CQWW SSB N7GP(N5IA) SOSB/160 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 25 22:19:19 EDT 2015

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N7GP
Operator(s): N5IA
Station: N5IA

Class: SOSB/160 HP
QTH: AZ -- DM52
Operating Time (hrs): 13.0
Remote Operation

  160:  264    11       24

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

Lots of QRN from T-Storms in Texas to the east and from Hurricane Patricia
making landfall 1,000 miles due south on the west coast of Mexico.  Propagation
was poor with only six Zone 33 contacts for the best east DX.  No Zone 14 or 15
heard either night.

I missed LK1F for a double mult at his morning gray line Saturday.  He was good
copy but could not hear my signal.  HC0E likewise was not hearing well.

I CQed though VK3 sunset with no stations heard from the western Pacific, VK,
ZL, HL, BA or UA0.  I called it quits the first night at 0930 so I could get a
couple of hours of sleep before traveling on a 400 mile round trip to attend
the funeral for a 12 year classmate and lifelong friend.

I arrived back home at 0230 Saturday night.  The band was again very noisy with
QRN.  Propagation was even shorter with only a weak CN2AA heard from across the
Atlantic.  I was able to find a few more Caribbean area stations including 3
new mults to help the score.

At ZL sunset I found ZL2OT CQing with a weak signal.  Contact was made for the
double mult.  KH6AT and KH7M, plus XE2MX, were the only scoring QSOs the
balance of the night.  I CQed until it was dark in VK6 at Perth, and again
there was no response from the western Pacific, VK, HL, BA or UA0.

Others are praising the lingering sunspots and the TEN Meter activity.  I am
hoping for a quick demise of the spots and full band plus voice privileges for
our JA friends.

I work all US stations who call in for the Zone 3 contact on Topband.  The non
scoring Qs totaled 36 with Zone 3, 100 with Zone 4, and 96 with Zone 5.  Just
32 Qs of the 264 total, a mere 12%, were for scoring.

Thanks for all the fun, and I'll be listening for everyone in the CW event 5
weeks hence.

73 de Milt, N5IA, operator of N7GP