[3830] CQWW SSB VE9CB SOSB(A)/40 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 26 02:01:13 EDT 2015

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE9CB
Operator(s): VE9CB
Station: VE9CB

Class: SOSB(A)/40 HP
QTH: New Brunswick

   40: 1161    27      105
Total: 1161    27      105  Total Score = 388,476

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

Rig: FTdx-5000, TL-922 amp
Antenna: Vertical dipole hanging from 70ft agl

I was really hoping to go SOABHP in this one, but MFJ let me down and didn't
get an essential part to me in time to get the tribander up the tower.  I had
to play with the antennas I had, which are single-band wires for 40, 80 and 60.
   I was going to do a "non-entry" and just play around on the low
bands, but 40m was in good shape and both 80 and 160 sounded awful.  I
eventually settled on a single-band 40m entry.

The first night, I S&P-ed all three bands, and only started calling CQ very
late on Day 1.

I had some great stuff call me, like a 3A2, but I missed some easy DX, like ZS
and JA (both double-mults) and I could not crack the pileups on JW5E, AH0T and
a KH2.

My score beats the North American record (N2ZX 2009 340k) in this very specific
category by about 10%, and the Canadian record (VE6WZ 2013 336k) by just a
little bit more.  Both of them had beams I had a dipole.  I'm pretty pleased.