[3830] CQWW SSB KL7RA M/M HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 26 06:11:41 EDT 2015

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: KL7RA
Operator(s): AL7IF KL2HD KL7RA KL7SB KL8X WL7BDO
Station: KL7RA

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Alaska

  160:   53     5        4
   80:  219    15       14
   40:  974    32       82
   20: 3204    37      130
   15: 3078    36      124
   10: 1464    26       52

Lost two key players right before the start but went with Multi-Multi anyway
knowing we would really just have three bands open most of the time anyway. 160
and 80 was absorbed so the lower 48 W6/7 land contesters didn't spend much time
on those bands causing us endless unanswered CQ's. Then having loud mults like
BY's that can't hear us adds to the frustration mix. 40 meters however was
excellent and endless. 20 was open all night to Europe on the 2nd day and 15
produced big Europe runs as well. But no question we are in decline. Ten didn't
really open till high noon here and the Europe stations couldn't hear us calling
them. We did have big hours on 10, 15 and 20 at the end which makes
this really fun and you forget the long slow hours before sunrise each
morning.

Only station failure reported was one footswitch went intermittent. I bought
these in 1978 and after 37 years of being kicked, stomped, and swore at one
finally gave up. I felt bad throwing it away. All and all making 9000 Q's isn't
bad for a weekend of max radio and we rotated the big rate hours between
everyone to share the fun. It is what it is and the CQWW phone is the contest
that brings a lot of activity, big rates and lights up a lot of DX stations to
work. Thanks to all those behind the WW curtain keeping all this working. Next
up SS code.

73 Rich KL7RA North Pole Contest Group. (Dave stuck in Salt Lake and Kris
in a hospital in Anchorage, we missed you guys!) We did drink your share of
the beer however, life goes on after all.