[3830] CQWW SSB K9CT M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 26 09:08:49 EDT 2015

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: K9CT
Operator(s): K3WA KC9ZQW KB9OWD K9QQ KB9UWU KU5B K9CT
Station: K9CT

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: IL

  160:   32     8       18
   80:  236    23       75
   40:  709    33      115
   20: 1171    38      143
   15: 1909    37      142
   10: 1563    33      131

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

We didn't know what to expect this year. Conditions have been mostly difficult
with higher A and K indexes and an unsettled sun. But amazingly, we had pretty
good conditions again. No expectation of 10m compared to the last two years so
were very happy to get good propagation for many hours. The only difference
seemed to be the length of the openings from the last two or three years.

The team was experienced and solid throughout the 48 hours. We had a guest
operator, Ed, KC9ZQW. Ed is a senior EE at Bradley University and president of
their ham radio club. He joined us for the first 24 hours and went from novice
to solid contest operator in that time. He mostly sat in the second chair and
listened to the experienced operators and worked in multipliers and same band
qsos. He also got some good time running as well.

New this year was the addition of one more tower and Steppir antenna. This
antenna was used mostly for SE, S and SW and gave us better isolation in the
same band. The synthesizors were replaced in the 4 K3s that we use for M/2... 8
total. I am sure it was an improvement on same band qsos...especially noted on
10 and 15m. Computers and N1MM Plus worked flawlessly.

We sincerely want to thank NQ4I team for competing on line on cqcontest.net Our
team was totally focused on the horse race between our teams. It was a marathon
and neither team was ever in the lead or behind very long. I can tell you that
it kept our team in the chair and chasing every mult and qso possible. It will
probably come down to log checking to see who won between us.....

Every team should be on line. It really adds to the fun of the contest. There
are no secrets any more when you are in the contest...so why are you not on
line?

The food is always a hit with the team. It is like inviting friends over to eat
and then enjoying some radio between meals. We had everything from Chinese,
Packer brats from WI, special breakfast casserole made in a crock pot to pizza
and beer. No one leaves hungary.

Looking back over the weekend, it seemed like the last 24 hours were better
than the first. Bands were more alive and full from top to bottom. The CME may
have affected the early conditions. Our rates on 10 and 15 were very high. We
had ops on all four radios interleaving qsos as fast as we could. Our best hour
was 1500Z on the 25th...302 and our 10 minute rate approached 500 a couple of
times. Now that was fun! We missed zone 34 and saw a spot for SU9IG but never
connected.

Thanks to every one for the qsos, the band moves and the multiple bands. Thanks
to the 6 band qsos with 8P5A C37N CN2AA EF8R HC0E HK1NA KH6J KP2M KP3Z PJ4Q TO4K
V26B V47T VE7SCC VP5S and PJ2T. We had 97 stations on 5 bands and 134 on 4
bands...wow.

See you in the cw session! 73, Craig K9CT