[3830] CQWW SSB W7RM(K2PO) SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 26 12:04:12 EDT 2015

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W7RM
Operator(s): K2PO
Station: W7RM

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Oregon

  160:   11     4        4
   80:   45    13       16
   40:  128    28       48
   20:  256    32       93
   15:  413    28       88
   10:  329    25       64

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

Well that was, at times, both exhilarating and excruciating...

20 meters on Saturday night provided one of those magical radio experiences in
which 100 watts nets QSOs with all continents, in little more than half an
hour: Europe (JW5E and 8S0C), Asia (UA9JDP, UA9FLK, 9K2HN and RT0C), Africa
(FR4NT), N. America (VY1MAB), Oceania (NH6Y) and S. America (PT2CM), all
between 0319z and 0352z.  It doesn't get much better than that.

(The excruciating part was trying to work Europeans on 40m.  Low power just
didn't go the distance.  Four consecutive hours the first night with rates
between 8 and 15 gets very tedious... (I didn't punish myself so long the 2d
night.))

Like others have said, 10 meters was a treat.  However, the joy didn't quite
reach as far as zone 15 from here.  All 7 of my European QSOs were from
southern zone 14: Azores, Spain (2) and Portugal (4).

(Coincidentally, my European tally on 40m was also 7 QSOs.  Golden Ear awards
to DJ5MW, HG1S, R1DX, RU1A, SN3A and SO4B for pulling out my signal.)

Score was up 15% over last year (but so were my hours in the chair).

'Had a fun time using the call sign formerly held by big-gun Rush Drake (SK).
Several folks did a double-take on hearing it in the contest.  (The call is now
held by our local club, the Willamette Valley DX Club.)  Rush might have spun in
his grave if he knew it was used with low power!

37% of my QSOs were from CQing.  Of those 463 QSOs, 349 were Japanese stations
(including 201 on 10m, and 120 on 15m).  7 were Europeans.  (24 were no-point
US callers).

5-band QSOs with BY5CD, JA3YBK, JH4UYB, KL7RA, KP2M, NH7A, P40A, PJ2T, V26B.
6-band with KH6J.

Tnx to all!

/Bill, K2PO op