[3830] CQWW SSB AE0EE SOAB Rookie LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Oct 27 00:50:47 EDT 2015

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: AE0EE
Operator(s): AE0EE
Station: AE0EE

Class: SOAB Rookie LP
QTH: MN

   40:   15    11       10
   20:   42    13       29
   15:  125    22       58
   10:  124    17       40

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

100 W into dipoles up 20', all search-and-pounce.

It was great that 10 meters was open!  I spent more time there than I would had
I solely been looking to maximize score, but I prioritized working to finish 10
m DXCC before the solar cycle fully tanks.

The first few hours were, as I expected, mostly a waste of my time: very few
stations could hear me over the roar of kilowatts and beams.  I stayed on the
higher bands until I just couldn't be heard anymore.  It was fun to see just
what can be done when there are lots of DX stations on the air.

I had very little luck on 40 m.  Perhaps this is just my complaining about how
it's harder for me than it should be, but I think it's ridiculous that the
high-power stations will fill up a band calling CQ so tightly on top of each
other that none can hear modest stations.  If there's too much QRM to hear a
modest signal, don't call.  It's good amateur practice.  If I had a dollar for
each time I had an S9+ signal CQ in my face, I'd go get a pair of top-notch
contest radios and still have enough left to replace the TV antenna on my tower
with an HF beam.

Comparison with last year:
Score, QSOs, countries up; zones down slightly on lower 10 m performance.
The 20 m antenna still hasn't been dealt with; I have been putting an analyzer
to it testing a few hypotheses about its performance before making any physical
adjustments.
Like last year, I had no antenna up for 80 m.  I hope to get one working and
ready for November Sweepstakes and CQWW CW.

Memorable moments:
* Being followed on one QSO by AA6EE (that was confusing to hear after my
acknowledgment!).
* Hearing so many entities out there which I've never heard/worked before.  I
worked a few, but many got away.  Total entities heard was >103.
* Working the MWA DXpedition stations

For next year, I'd like to be operating on the low bands.  The 20 m antenna
still needs to be fixed, and I may be able to use what I learn from my
experiments to improve my other bands, too.