[3830] CQWW SSB N5DO SOAB(A) HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Oct 27 09:39:15 EDT 2015

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N5DO
Operator(s): N5DO
Station: N5DO

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: TX

   80:   34    16       17
   40:  192    24       77
   20:  271    33      109
   15:  413    32      112
   10:  537    33      108

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

I received a new Elecraft KPA500 Amplifier and an Elecraft KAT500 antenna tuner
two weeks before the contest but had not yet many any contacts with them.  I
planned to operate low power this weekend, but after 30 minutes I only had 16
QSOs.  The new amp/tuner were just sitting there, so I decided to shift to high
power.  The combination worked flawlessly and resulted in my best experience
ever using an amplifier.  (I don't usually get along well with amplifiers and
had sworn off using them).  I imagine I will continue to operate mostly low
power, but it is nice to have the amp for casual DXing and operating in those
contests that don't distinguish between high and low power.

Conditions were good -- the heavy rain storms that hit Texas went to the east
of us, although the static crashes were a pain on Friday night.  I was
pleasantly surprised to find 10 meters open.

The discussion about working zero point QSOs on the Contest reflector have been
interesting.  I hate to break into a W station's run to get the US multiplier
and generally hope to work some W's in the normal course of the contest.  Then
late in the contest I go looking for someone who I feel will log my unnecessary
(for them) contact.  I usually say something like "thanks for the
mult" in the hopes that they will log me.  I have had unfortunate
experiences losing my only US mult on various bands in the past.  This time I
waited too long and when the contest was over realized that I never got a US
mult on 40 or 80 meters.  I had better change my strategy in the future --
maybe I'll work two W's on each band early in the contest!