[3830] CQWW SSB 6Y9X(K1XM) SOAB(A) HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Oct 27 22:19:03 EDT 2015

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: 6Y9X
Operator(s): K1XM
Station: 6Y9X

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: Jamaica

  160:    1     1        1
   80:  172     9       34
   40: 1337    26       88
   20: 1426    29       97
   15: 1958    28      101
   10: 1832    24       88

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Special thanks to George, 6Y5GC, and to Krassy, K1LZ.

The station had not been used in a contest since 2012, and it had been struck
by lightning.  The plan was to evaluate things, and then to operate the contest
with whatever George and I could get working.

The antennas I used were:

10:  MonstIR fixed North
15:  4/5 stack fixed Northeast
20:  5/5 stack fixed Northeast
40:  MonstIR fixed North
80:  4-square, not working properly
160: 80 4-square barefoot with transmatch

The lightning took out various antenna switching boxes.  We were able to get
some of them working by replacing diodes.

I had SO2R capability at the beginning of the contest.  One station had
automatic antenna switching.  The other required changing coaxes.  One
amplifier failed so I was soon SO1R.

Having one radio and no rotators I mostly ran people and didn't worry too much
about the multiplier.  I won't win anything but I had a good time.

Fixing everything will take a lot of work.  But now we know what needs to be
done.