[3830] CQWW SSB TO4K M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Oct 28 23:41:24 EDT 2015

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: TO4K
Operator(s): G4XUM GM4AFF M5RIC N0VD
Station: TO4K

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: St. Barths

  160:    85     6       20
   80:   657    17       72
   40:  1962    29       97
   20:  2595    34      127
   15:  3958    31      115
   10:  3445    29      119
-------------------------------

What a fun weekend with both friends old and new!  We had no idea what to expect
operating from a new location on the island of St. Barths.  The path to NA and
EU was a straight water shot.  But any other direction - let's say Mother Earth
made a great reflector.  We know we left a lot of mults on the table due to
this.

All gear was hand carried to the island.  Our villa was located a mere 150'
from the water which allowed the SVDAs to work their magic.  Our 80/160 Battle
Creek Special seemed to work well with the exception of having to put it back
in the air at least a 1/2 dozen times.  We found the daytime heating kept
expanding the joints of our 18m Spider Pole causing sections to slide down.
Fortunately, we became experts in lowering, adjusting and repositioning that
antenna.  Note to self: next time bring hose clamps.

We were told there hadn't been any rain on the island in over 9 months.
Tuesday through Thursday were spectacular weather-wise.  However, the
thunderstorms rolled in on Friday and spent most of the weekend lurking about.
The QRN on 80 was a near constant 20 over S9 Friday night.  It was a bit better
on Saturday, but still never went below S9.  We apologize for being an
alligator on the low bands - it was very difficult to hear.  Thanks to
everybody that stuck with us as we pulled calls out one letter at a time
between the crashes.

The rigs were a pair of K3s which performed as K3s do.  We also had a pair of
brand new SPE Expert 1.3K solid state amps.  They were awesome!

Thanks to everybody that worked us.  We had a great time and hope you did as
well.

73 and see you in a future contest.

On behalf of the T04K team - Kelly / N0VD