[3830] NA Sprint CW N6ZFO LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Sep 13 02:08:21 EDT 2015

                    NA Sprint CW Contest - September

Call: N6ZFO
Operator(s): N6ZFO
Station: N6ZFO

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs):

   80:   0        0
   40:   0        0
   20:  52       25
---------------------
Total:  52     Mults = 25  Total Score = 1,300

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCCC #1

Comments:

Shortly before NAS a seemingly small fire, now called Valley Fire, started
nearby here in Lake County.  Within hours, the fire had spread from 50 to
10,000 acres south and east of Mt. Konocti, apparently destroying multiple
homes and businesses in nearby communities (Cobb, Loch Lomond, Middletown).
Shortly before NAS, XYL received a call from her best friend reporting her
house on fire.  So we immediately began to prepare for receiving evacuees. It
did not seem appropriate to continue with a radio contest at this point; we
were (and continue to be) at some risk, and need to be available for evacuated
friends.

While there have been several bad fires in Lake County recently the Valley Fire
may be catastrophic.   Our own home is well protected with a double layer of
inches-thick masonry and tile roofs but we are at the top of a mountain, a risk
in itself. Several who have visited us (K6NV, K6VVA, N3ZZ and KO7X (twice) can
(or could in Alan's case) attest to the situation.

Sorry not to have been able to participate fully, as conditions seemed good
here.  [as an aside.   my WinKey system failed 10 minutes into the contest, so
was having to send CW entirely by hand.  Two re-boots did not correct the
problem].

73 Bill n6zfo