[3830] ARRL Sep VHF W7QQ/R Rover HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Sep 14 22:13:12 EDT 2015

                    ARRL September VHF Contest

Call: W7QQ/R
Operator(s): W7QQ KK6MC
Station: W7QQ/R

Class: Rover HP
QTH: Rover
Operating Time (hrs): 19:30

    6:   39     6
    2:   45     5
  222:   17     5
  432:   40     5
  903:   12     3
  1.2:   20     5
  2.3:    8     3
  3.4:    5     2
  5.7:    5     2
  10G:    6     2
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  197    47  Total Score = 18,330

This was the most productive September contest ever for Bill and me. Most of
that is due to carrying the microwave bands, having another rover to work with
those bands, and having another rover out with 4 bands.

We drove to Grand Junction on Friday and ran into the first problem of the
rove; a mountain pass was closed and caused us a 2 hour delay in Silverton.
That put us a bit late into Grand Junction where we had dinner with KE6LHL,
N0IO, KE5HHU, K5RHR, N0KE, and K0JEG. Nice group and we worked all of them the
next day. We both discovered we had no charging cords for our phones, which was
a problem as we had intended to use RoverStatus. A quick trip to the big box
store fixed that problem.

In the morning, we met up with N0IO/r and KE6HHL/r as well as KE5HHU and K5RHR
who operated portable. We made our way to the top of Grand mesa, a grand
operating site indeed; in addition to the altitude, it offers access to three
grids with in a few miles. N0KE and K0JEG setup on a mountain north of us, and
KE5HHU and K5RHR set up in the valley below. There was lots to work and that
was a blast. W0VOA/r came up and roved between the three grids and gave us more
QSOes, including some valuable 1.2G QSOes on FM. We headed down the mesa and
operated from DM68 and DM58. Then off to see W9RM's station and have dinner
with him. Then a long drive in the dark to Cortez. Exhausted we fell into bed
at 0100.

Up early the next day, we headed towards Mesa Verde, working W9RM on 6M in
motion to give him a new grid on 6M. Then into the park, we ended up at Park
Point, a great operating spot with good site lines in all directions. But
conditions were poor and what should have been easy contacts ended up being a
struggle even on CW.