[3830] ARRL Sep VHF VE3CRU/R Rover LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Sep 16 15:43:28 EDT 2015

                    ARRL September VHF Contest

Call: VE3CRU/R
Operator(s): VE3CRU
Station: VE3CRU

Class: Rover LP
QTH: FN04/13/03/EN93/94
Operating Time (hrs):

  903:    1     1
  1.2:    0     0
  2.3:    1     1
  3.4:    1     1
  5.7:    0     0
  10G:    0     0
  24G:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  117    93  Total Score = 16,926

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Saturday saw foul weather.  Rain, cold and poor prop.  I was running without
1296, tests showed no output but good rx.  Best odx in FN04xa was W2LV in FN21
and W3SO in FN00.  Was at 720 fasl.  Moved to FN13bx at water's edge of Lake
Ontario 280 fasl.  Best odx was W2SZ in FN32 and W3SO FN00.  Then moved to
FN03tw at approx 350 fasl.  Best odx was W2SZ FN32, W1AN in FN41, K1WHS in
FN43, W3SO FN00.

Sunday, drove west to  EN93wv at 1750 fasl.  Best odx was W3SO FN00.  Moved
north to EN94wf fasl 1720.  Best odx W2SZ FN32 and KA1ZE FN01.   Prop dropped
out, so headed back to EN93wv.  Better luck when prop bursts appeared, namely
K8GP FM19, W2SZ FN32, WA2FGK FN21.  At no time was there prop to the west
beyond VE3ZV and VE3SMA/R in EN92 and VE3XTM and VE3DDL in EN93.

I got only 1 qso on 902 with VE3DS in FN03 from EN93 at feed through power of 2
watts.  Unknown to me the 903 amp went into shutdown mode prior to the contest,
and 1 qso on 2304 with W2SZ.  Worked W2SZ on 3456 once.

Since the contest ended, I again tested 1296 using the HP 431C and it showed
full output.  The Bird slug was defective, showing no output previously.  Grrrr
lol.   Considering all, I am happy with my score and look forward to next year.

Chin up, forward march !!!

Thanks to the ARRL for sponsoring the event, and to all who participated both
as contestants and to those who gave out points, much appreciated.

73,

Bill   VE3CRU/R