[3830] ARRL Sep VHF K7BWH/R Rover HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Fri Sep 18 12:15:59 EDT 2015

                    ARRL September VHF Contest

Call: K7BWH/R
Operator(s): K7BWH
Station: K7BWH/R

Class: Rover HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

    6:  12      6
    2:  29     10
  222:   9      5
  432:  15      5
  903:  13      5
  1.2:   9      5
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  87     40  Total Score = 6,200

Rover operation in southeast corner of Oregon to activate DN02, DN03, DN12 and
DN13. This was portable operation, two grids/day.
My “distance” band was 2 meters with 750 watts and 7 element yagi, since
this would probably be the only way to reach the distant metro centers in
Portland (330 mi), Seattle (420 mi) and California (400 miles).  On other
bands, I brought only modest equipment and HTs from 50 to 1296 MHz.
We had no VHF band openings and participation within a 200-mile radius was
pretty low. I only worked one station in Boise (100 mi). It’s great that
Steve KE7IHG set up portable ops on Steens Mtn. Thank goodness that Rod WE7X
was roving me; he was a tremendous help scouting and operating, and we made
contacts from nearby.
My longest contacts were Nelson W7LUD (330 mi) and Fred WA7TZY (310 mi) on 2m.
It was fun to make 40-mile contacts on 902 and 1296 using a low-power HT.
A highlight of the trip was operating from Calamity Butte DN03ow at 6,700’
for the last three hours of the contest, and then camping overnight on the
exposed ridge. The view is tremendous in all directions, and even better from
the 70’ manned lookout. Eastern Oregon suffers greatly from this dry summer
and I watched smoke rising from wildfires about 20 miles to the north.
My trip was eight days and 1800 miles for driving and scouting the Oregon
desert to/from Seattle. I spent Tuesday before the contest to activate CN92
from Hamaker Mountain. Quite an epic adventure!
Barry K7BWH/R