[3830] TxQP N5RZ SO CW HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Sep 27 19:13:38 EDT 2015

                    Texas QSO Party

Call: N5RZ
Operator(s): N5RZ
Station: N5RZ

Class: SO CW HP
QTH:

  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:  941     0       0  Mults = 288  Total Score = 822,024

Club: Midland Amateur Radio Club

Comments:

That was fun!

Had never done this one from a fixed station before - only from the mobile.
Was glad to see all the mobiles doing a lot of 40M - otherwise this would have
been a loooong contest!   Great jobs by all of them!

I had one radio dedicated to 40M (K3 + P3 + 800W amp)  and used the other K3
(with LP-Pan and SPE Experts 2K-FA amp) on the other bands.  With the WX0B
4x8pak and full automation, band changes were easy.  Used N1MM+ logging
software that worked great as long as the typist knew what he was doing!  With
the P3 on 40M, it was easy to see when a new mobile (or any other station for
that matter) showed up.  Did not use Packet or Skimmer.

Activity was poor on 15M the first day - but the condx were good.  I could see
all the big signals up the band on RTTY.  15M was much better Sunday, though
the activity was still sub par.   Quite a bit of DX worked on 15M to help the
mult.

Had 668 QSO's after the first day.

QSO Tallies for the heavy duty mobiles:

N5NA  39
NO5W  39
W5CT  32
W0BH  30
K5YAA 28
W3DYA 21
KS5A  18
K5GQ  17
N4CD  14

These guys earned me 9000 bonus points (included in score)- thanks!  I had run
many of these counties in the past, so it was fun "riding along" with
them!  You guys did great!

My power line noise was really acting up this weekend, and masked many of the
weaker sigs - sorry for my poor ears.  Chances of fixing it are pretty slim.
These are privately owned lines for the oil lease I live on, and it appears to
be a systemic problem that has really gotten bad in the past 16 months.  I will
not be at this QTH much longer (will be QSYing to Gillespie county upon
retirement - hopefully soon), so I will just live with it until I leave since I
do not have the time to deal with it.

As for mults, I got 204 TX counties, 47 states (missed AK and IA - heard an IA
working someone else, but no luck - never heard AK).  Only 3 Canadian provinces
(VE3-4-7).  And 34 DX countries - Brian 9J2BO even checked in!.  Even though I
always had an antenna pointed southeast, I only worked KP4 down that way.  And
not a single JA.   I guess the RTTY test really steals folks.

10M provided only one QSO - I moved K5NB in Fannin county for a "brute
force" QSO.  CQ'ed in futility a bit there, and had several unsuccessful
moves as well.  But like 15M, the band was open - some nice loud RTTY sigs
showing up on the LP Pan.   Thanks to those who moved to 160M for a few extra
QSO's.

To everyone   - I really appreciate all the QSO's!

73,  Gator