[3830] CQ WW RTTY ON3DI SOSB(A)/80 QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Sep 28 09:59:10 EDT 2015

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: ON3DI
Operator(s): ON3DI
Station: ON3DI

Class: SOSB(A)/80 QRP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

   80:  337       7      45    6
-----------------------------------
Total:  337       7      45    6  Total Score = 39,208

Hi,

It was the first since I got my license that i wasn't active for months.
Conditions weren't good, no interest, time for some other things. Anyway a CQ
WW without ON3DI isn't a CQ WW ;-)

The days before the contest I was checking the record page. I wanted another
Belgium record (would be number 15 in all categories SSB, RTTY and CW in WW and
WPX). A lot of possibilities; low 80m or various QRP bands. Normally I do all
band and try to make 1000 QSO. But that is only possible when the conditions
are good, also on 10m. Whisful thinking!
Some hours before the contest I decided to go for the world record on 80m QRP.
The score wasn't that high and I think that this band is my only chance to win
the contest worldwide and to set a world record.
Working conditions: 5w, FT897 and a dipole antenna.

The conditions during the first night were good, I was able to call CQ. The
nois level wasn't that high. Worked European stations but on the morning I
heard an incredible strong VY2/WJ5DX. I worked him easily, nice! Copied also
VA2UP, but he couldn't hear me, pitty! I called CQ again, the kick was huge
when N6EE responded! Worked 7 states (PE, NY, ME, PA, FL, MN, VA). Extremely
happy with that score. Definitly when I compared to the score of HG6C (WR of
2014). He worked more zones, but I worked more states and DXCC's.
Day 2 was harder, worked only 2 USA stations. I hoped that VA2UP and YW5T, who
were strong the first night, would come back to 80m but I haven't heard them.
So called again a lot of CQ, a lot of DL stations came back, antenna works well
for Europe.

Worked 6 zones (5, 14, 15, 16, 20 and thanks to CR3L 33).

When the band was closing I played a bit on the others bands. Had some nice
runs on 40m, also to the states.
Perhaps the most nice QSO was on 20m. I was calling CQ (with a vertical who is
not that good on 20m). Two stations came back; an Italian and ZM... It was
ZM2IO, nice!
10m was very very poor, only 1 QSO, 15m could also been better.

Anyway the goal was the World record 80m QRP and I think I may claim it.
Perhaps somebody else had the same idea, that we will know Friday or saturday
when the log deadline appears.
Winning a CQ WW and getting a plaque, a dream of all serious contesters, lets
hope I achieved it.

Thanks to all who worked me!
Thanks to all who spotted me!
Thanks to my parents and dog for all the support! We fixed the antenna a couple
days before the contest, with results!

All the best, 73,

ON3DI Pieter