[3830] IOTA GW6W M/2 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Aug 1 12:23:44 EDT 2016

IOTA Contest

Call: GW6W
Operator(s): GW0ETF GW7BZR GW3VVC MW0JWP
Station: GW6W

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: EU124 (Holy)

   80:    77      30      17      17
   40:   166      39      35      31
   20:   629      51      60      29
   15:   143      20      15       8
   10:     7       4       1       1
Total:  1022     144     128      86  Total Score = 1,996,400

Multi-1 low power field day style with 2 K3s in the club caravan at the entrance
to Holyhead breakwater. For once the preparations in the week paid off and
everything worked out of the box once on site, including the station networking
and internet access off the 3g from my mobile phone which was faultless the
whole contest; a pity that multi requires this if you want to be anything near
competitive even if you're stuck on a desert island.

It was supposed to be a club 'training/mentoring' exercise but was in the end
poorly supported. As a by-product we were short of antennas with just a big
doublet and a club so-called multiband vertical which is rubbish and virtually
unusable. Fortunately I took along a 20m dipole which I hung down a 12m
Spiderpole positioned by the sea and that gave us solid running on 20m (if
you're a partially retired rock climber you'll find taking a few runners with
'chocks' are an excellent solution to the problem of guying verticals on rocks
by the ocean). We used the delapidated club caravan which involves a 2 station
setup being sat alongside each other and way less than ideal especially when
you're running cw and the person next to you is loudly working mults on the
mike, and caused no end of partially missed exchanges and repeats despite my
wrap around CM-500 headphones.

A really well supported contest and reasonably busy even through the night
despite just the doublet for the low bands, and I finished the contest running
manically on 15m. Not a criticism but towards the end when I was tired and the
our serials were in 4 figures sending and/or repeating our exchange with it's
EU124 got to sound very tedious! Packing up when you're tired and short of help
is the worst time and personally I hate the coiling of hundreds of feet of rg213
the most. Far better would be to use rg58 for this sort of low power hf set up;
I'm sure you wouldn't notice any difference and if you had say a Moxon for 10m
that could be sited close to the operating position quite easily.