[3830] NAQP CW N8XX Single Op QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sat Aug 6 23:06:37 EDT 2016

North American QSO Party, CW - August

Call: N8XX
Operator(s): N8XX
Station: N8XX

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: COLORADO

  160:   0      0
   80:   0      0
   40:   2      2
   20:  22     16
   15:   0      0
   10:   0      0
-------------------
Total:  24     18  Total Score = 432

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

Very part time effort.  Noise level @ the oondo we're renting in the Colrado
Rockies is S-7 to S-9, so I took the KX2 and portable antenna to the local
National Forest where I knew of a picnic area. Noise level was S0 to S1, with
occasional ignition noise from automobiles about a quarter mile away.

The major problem was that I forgot to bring my coat (temperature was about 72
°F) which made it difficult to read the computer screen.  And, for some reason
I couldn't get N1MM to key the rig, so the J-38 and left foot were put to use.

Some folks were complaining about conditions - but from this location at 9400
feet above mean sea level (AMSL) things worked fine.

This was a good shakedown for National Parks on the Air (NPOTA) on August 13,
where I'll be activating two "5-fers" - Scottsbluff National Monument
and Chimney Rock National Historical Site.  For these two sites, four Historical
Trails run right through the parking areas.  So, if you're a NPOTA chaser, keep
the Reverse Beacon network set for N8XX on Monday from about 1800z till about
2200Z.