[3830] NAQP CW NG7Z Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 7 18:40:35 EDT 2016

North American QSO Party, CW - August

Call: NG7Z
Operator(s): NG7Z
Station: NG7Z

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Marana AZ

   15:   15     8
   10:    3     3
-------------------
Total:  272    87  Total Score = 23,664

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Team: Arizona Outlaws - Desperados

Comments:

K2-100 vertical. I wasn't expecting to make history and I wasn't disappointed.
20M  started off slow with weak signals. I switched between 15 and 20 many
times trying to get something going to little success. Called CQ a few times on
10 and was surprised to get an answer. Even more surprised to get answered by
KP2X Ed for a M2. The Outlaws wanted to meet up there at 2100 and 2200 but I
didn't hear or get answered by any of them. 20 slowly improved during the
afternoon but petered out by 2230. Switching to 40M I found that I could hear
some west coast and even some weak easterly stations but they couldn't hear me.
So I took a long break and came back at 0030 at which time 40M had improved to
the point I could S&P and even run. At 0130 my wife tapped me on the
shoulder to get my attention. She said lightning was approaching and was only
15 miles away. So I took the vertical down and waited to see if the storm would
pass. Unfortunately it was very slow moving to the northeast of us and by 0500
(10pm local) it was still active enough that I packed it in and went to bed. So
instead of maybe 400Q's I wound up with less than 300. But the NAQP contests
remain a favorite along with the Sprints. Any domestic contests are doable with
my tiny station but DX tests are not worth the time especially with the
declining cycle. Having said that I'm grateful to have any kind of ham radio
activity even in this acursed HOA. (PS, the XYL had two votes and I had one)
Kudos to my fellow Outlaw Bob K8IA for a great score and all the other Outlaws
for making the AOCC a top club. 73 Paul NG7Z