[3830] Aug UHF KF2MR/R Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 7 19:54:44 EDT 2016

August UHF Contest

Call: KF2MR/R
Operator(s): KF2MR
Station: KF2MR/R

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:

  222:  11      4
  432:  15      4
  903:   5      2
  1.2:   6      3
  2.3:   4      1
  3.4:   6      1
  5.7:
  10G:   5      1
  24G:   5      1
-------------------
Total:  57     21  Total Score = 8,064

Club: Rochester VHF Group

Comments:

Activity was down slightly this year, but I had some good experiences
regardless. On Saturday afternoon and evening I spent time with the N2PA
multi-op group learning the basics of how to operate at a multi-op station. The
station is being rebuilt after many years of being off the air. It was very
interesting to hear about the history and hear about plans for the future. I
enjoy operating as a rover, but it was nice to stay in one place all afternoon
and have several hundred watts at my fingertips without worrying about battery
voltage. Sunday morning was spent with the K2LIM group playing around with
10GHz WBFM gear and lasers. While I would have like to have stayed a bit
longer, I had already missed my first planned stop for the morning and had to
head off to the next grid. After spending a lot of time adding a 4W amplifier
to my 3456 station over the past few weeks, I was rewarded with a new personal
best-distance of 70 miles with the K2LIM group. This was not a difficult
contact, so I suspect much longer distances are possible with advanced planning
or coordination. I barely made it to my last grid before the contest ended. I
made two contacts and had to call it quits with a few minutes left due to
equipment issues. Overall an enjoyable event with great hospitality from the
WNY multi-op stations. I experienced my first August UHF contest in high school
and I am afraid I may have just experienced my last. Who knows what 2017 will
bring...