[3830] Aug UHF K8CC Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 7 20:21:48 EDT 2016

Club: Michigan VHF-UHF Society

Comments:

Equipment:
FT-847 Xcvr (28/144 MHz IF and 432 MHz)
222:  DEMI 25W xvtr, 100W brick, 16L Directive Systems K1FO yagi @ 72'
432:  100W brick, Cushcraft 424B 24L Boomer @ 78'
902:  DEMI 10W xvtr, 40L M2 yagi @ 68'
1296: DEMI 25W xvtr, 45L Directive Systems Looper @ 66'

Wanted to get on to support the independent group who assumed sponsorship of
this contest when the ARRL dropped it earlier this year.  Also, this was the
first time to have four "UHF" bands QRV for a UHF contest.  More
bands = more fun :-)

Activity here in the Great Lakes area was pretty sparse, and band conditions
seemed depressed.  Long stretches of alternating CQing & S&P without
making any QSOs.  Things would have been even slower without the ON4KST chat
room as company.

But that is not to say that there was no fun to be had.  Dave, KF8QL/R came
over from the west side of the state, and I worked him 14 times from four
different grids.  Best DX was probably W0UC in EN64/Minnesota on 222, plus N2PA
& K2LIM from FN12 on 222 & 432.  But a lot of the closer in grids that
we usually work simply weren't there.

But thanks to everyone who did get on.  While sitting in the operating chair
for 14+ hours to work 66 QSOs can be frustrating to the typical HF contester
like me, it still was fun and I plan to be back next year.

73, Dave/K8CC