[3830] Aug UHF K2EZ/R Limited Rover LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Aug 10 23:44:07 EDT 2016

August UHF Contest

Call: K2EZ/R
Operator(s): K2EZ
Station: K2EZ/R

Class: Limited Rover LP
QTH: NNJ

  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  103    30  Total Score = 9,270

Club: YLRL

Comments:

I had been planning to get setup on 33cm and 23cm to flush out a limited rover
effort.  After the ARRL cancelation and direction the ARRL looked to be headed
it seemed it probably wasn't worth the investment.

I greatly appreciate the sponsors for this independent running of the August
UHF contest under the old ARRL rules.

With only two bands I decided to jump into this contest anyway.  I had heard
some complaints about not much activity and talk of spending hours on a hilltop
only to work one station.   I did not know what to expect and planned some
effort on both days.

All I can say is, I had a great time.  I spent more time than anticipated and
activated four grids each day for a total of eight grids.  Activity was less
than on the VHF contest but found plenty of activity.  Despite only two bands
and limited operating time I was happy with the QSO count.

Unfortunately I feel this will be both my first and last UHF contest
participation unless the ARRL makes significant changes in the direction it
wants to go, or it continues like this with independent sponsors.

One thing I question about the ARRL proposed changes is the elimination of a
limited class.  It is clear they wish to promote use of higher frequencies.
For myself with limited capacity, I like the idea of a limited class where it
is possible to compete without a major handicap because of not having all the
other bands.

Another I question is the distance multiplier.  While a nice concept, isn't
that was the grid multipliers reward in the first place?  Stations that can get
further can reach more grids and get more multipliers.  If they get both more
grids and then distance multiplier on QSOs this is like double reward, distance
squared.

It seems to me that if we need to show more activity in these higher bands,
does some narrow band weak signal modes passing what is essentially a few dozen
bits of data for a contact really constitute use of these bands?  Could
something else be rewarded in the contest?  Here is a wild one, how about
making a multiplier based on data transferred?  Probably hard, but not
impossible to measure and authenticate.