[3830] WAE CW VP5M(K4QPL) Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 14 21:16:59 EDT 2016

WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: VP5M
Operator(s): K4QPL
Station: VP5M

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: vp5

   80:   36     0    64
   40:  181   159   111
   20:  383   443    92
   15:  114    60    66
   10:    0     0     0
-------------------------
Total:  714   662   333  Total Score = 457,209

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

A single op part time effort. BIC faced severe competition from beautiful
weather, grandkids, swimming pool outside the door--not to mention margaritas
and cuba-libres. As Jimmy Buffett says, "It's 5 o'clock somewhere..."

Didn't expect much out of 80M in Summer and my expectations were met. Maybe I
didn't stay up late enough. 40M wasn't great but better than expected although
noisy. 20M was the money band being open most of the time although it also had
some noise which made repeats frequent to minimize errors. 15M was
disappointing with weak signals and QSB. NE US seemed to do a lot better than
down here. 10M was a non-starter. By the time I discovered the sporadic-E
opening there wasn't enough in it for low power. The stations I heard were
working the louder US so I just concentrated on keeping busy with Q's and
QTC's.

N1MM+ is absolutely great for QTC's. Congratulations to the team for making it
a joy. The 1-2-3 fills system is perfect.
I'm always amazed at the cw skills of the EU ops who seldom need fills and
occasionally just say "QRQ" to not waste their time.
Thanks for another fun one in the log.
73,
Jim