[3830] WAE CW N9RV Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 14 21:27:08 EDT 2016

WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: N9RV
Operator(s): N9RV
Station: N9RV

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: MT

   80:    9           9
   40:  115          36
   20:  623          49
   15:   60          31
   10:    1           1
-------------------------
Total:  808   808   126  Total Score = 494,496

Club: Big Sky Contesters

Comments:

Solid week of work, travelling.  Came home 45 minutes before start.  Noticed bad
SWR on big 40m yagi.  Put an antenna tuner in line and went with it.  SWR
changed from time to time.  One side benefit -- my QRM from 20/40 was much
better with the tuner in line!

40m was a big disappointment.  Probably a mental thing, since the antenna was a
little compromised with the mystery ailment (solved it in about 10 minutes after
the contest -- a bad T connector on a stub).  Almost all Q's were S&P on
that band.

80 m was pretty interesting the first night -- managed to be heard and to even
copy a few serial numbers!  That was fun.

Mostly a slog, however, with pretty slow rates.  15 meters was ESP and 10m was
nonexistent out here until the very end when I snared TM6M.  There was a time
early Sunday when the east coast US was super loud, but I couldn't hear a thing
they were working.  Then their signals got really weak and suddenly there were
some very weak EU in there.  Just a few guys moved the meter.

Managed to heat up the basement here with the amplifiers running.