[3830] OhQP WN4AFP Single Op QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 28 22:49:44 EDT 2016

Ohio QSO Party

Call: WN4AFP
Operator(s): WN4AFP
Station: WN4AFP

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: SC

   80:   13      3
   40:   86     30
--------------------
Total:   99     33  CW Mults = 60  Ph Mults = 28  Total Score = 20,328

Club: Swamp Fox Contest Group

Comments:

This QP was one of my most challenging in my 3 years of working the QPs. Last
year I finished 2nd in the QRP category behind an excellent op K3TW from FL. I
thought that I'd try this again to see if I could pick-up a coveted OHQP award.
My goal was to make a minimum of 110 Qs with a majority on CW. My schedule
looked pretty good for about 7-8 hours. I made 59 Qs in less than 2 hours in
the KSQP, then I made the decision to give the OHQP my full attention for the
next 7-9 hours. Most important in any QP, is to roll fast at the opening bell.
Since 40m has always been my "money" band, I switched to 40m and I
was hearing Ohio with S20 sigs. I knew that I had to hit it as hard as I could.
I identified the mobile ops quickly and begin getting a feel for their timing
etc. During the first hour I hit a max Q rate of 54. There were plenty of
stations to work and the mobile ops kept me busy. When things go slow on CW,
I'd move to SSB and run through band then return to CW to work new mobile
counties etc. QRP CW on 40m during the day was amazing! However, phone contacts
were still very tough. I had to wait in line for every phone contact and as the
band opened as the contest continued, the wait was even longer. Around 2000z, I
had 80 Qs in the log, so my Q goal was reachable. I also ran into K3TW and we
stopped to wish each other GL and went back to work. Qs began to slow down on
40m around 0100z, so I had to make some 80m contacts while I switched back to
40m to keep up with the mobiles. I struggled with 80m. It took me 2.5 hours to
make 16 contacts on this band. We like many, were having some lightning near
our area, but just far enough away. My last mobile contact was with Jim, K8MR
at 0146z on 40m. I didn't hear any more mobiles on 40m, so I finished the
contest at 0231z on 80m after giving it 7 full hours of chasing mobiles. Thanks
to following mobile ops for hearing my very weak signal... K8MR(20), K8NZ(11),
N2CU(7)and W8UE(3). Sigs from Ohio were extremely strong into SC. I ran an old
IC-751 with PS15 which was cranked down to 5 watts to my trusted 40m and 80
dipoles at 10 feet. I didn't even attempt to "run" with this
equipment.

Thank you KW8N and W8CAR for the mode QSY!

Side note: I forgot that mults counted on both modes. I was focused on working
as many counties as I could, but not on different modes. I didn't remember this
until after the contest.

I had a blast working this QP and I can't wait to do it again next year. GL to
all the players. Thank you MRRC for putting on a good show this year!

73s Dave WN4AFP